National Etruscan Museum and Tombs

504

National Etruscan Museum

Established in 1871, the Museum was moved to its current Neoclassical building in 1901, where many rare and precious finds are displayed, crossing the entire development of the Etruscan civilization. The exhibition, set up in 2003, is very well kept from an aesthetic and scientific point of view; it follows a thematic and chronological approach and takes up the two floors of the building. Great attention has been given to the preservation and conservation of the displayed materials, most of which came from private collections clustered during 19th and 20th centuries and from scientific archaeological excavations. Some of the typical traits of the Etruscan civilization developed on the territory of Chiusi are represented by Canopies on the throne, laminated bronzes, buccheros with “cilindretto” and imprinted decorations, statues and reliefs made of sulphurous stone as well as sarcophaguses and urns made of clay and alabaster; there are also significant imported products like many painted Greek vases, belonging to the best Attic production. The statue of Augustus, considered one of the most refined portraits of the emperor, stands out for its beauty among the other Roman statues. Last but not least, rich and precious Lombard grave goods, completing the history of the city in the museum, are worth a visit.

canopo

Tomb of the Pilgrim

Discovered during road works in 1928, the tomb represents a significant example of Hellenistic Age family tomb (end IV – II century B.C.).

Dug in natural sandstone, it consists of a long corridor where four small burial recesses and three chambers of various dimensions are opened. Most of the sarcophaguses and urns of the 17 original burials are still preserved inside it. In the last master chamber, the covers of many sarcophaguses, have been moved or lifted, meaning that the tomb has probably been breached even in ancient times.

Tomb of the Monkey

Discovered in 1846 by Alessandro Françoise and dating back to the beginning of the V century B.C, it is the most famous tomb in the Necropolis of Chiusi. There is a central vestibule and three side chambers with paintings on the coffered ceiling and with burial beds dug in the sandstone. The wall paintings on the vestibule depict funerary games with chariot races, wrestlers, boxers, musicians, actors and mourners carrying palm branches; all the figures perform in honour of a woman, probably the one buried, who is watching the games under a parasol; in a corner of the representation a small monkey, from which the tomb derives its name, is tied to a bush. The decoration is well preserved on the ceiling of the master chamber, where green leaves of ivy and winged sirens frame a little red rose in the central coffer. The Tomb of the Lion, located near the Tomb of the Monkey and dating back to the same period of the latter, was once painted, but is now badly decayed.

Via Porsenna, 17 – 53043 Chiusi

Tel. 0039 0578 20177

e.Mail: sba-tos.museochiusi@beniculturali.it

WebSite: www.archeotoscana.beniculturali.it

Times and Tickets

1 Comment

  1. Per caso siamo arrivati ieri a Chiusi e sotto una pioggia torrenziale e poco tempo a disposizione siamo entrati a vedere se il museo fosse aperto. Abbiamo visto il costo, che ci è sembrato buono e siamo entrati convinti di cavarcela con poco tempoper la visita.Invece una splendida sorpresa.Tanti reperti, ben spiegati e ottimamente mantenuti, mostrati in un percorso chepasso dopo passo lascia a bocca aperta. Bellissima esperienza! Bravissimi!

    Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Facebook

Twitter